“Action in ECO Direction”
Project Reference: 2018-1-LV02-KA105-002048
Dates: June 16-25, 2018
Location: The first phase of Youth exchange project “Action in ECO Direction” will take place at Kesterciems, Engure region, Latvia.
Who: youth (18-25 y.o.) from Italy, Czech Republic, Latvia, Moldova, Armenia and Ukraine:
6 young people (18-25 y.o.) + 1 group leader (no age limits) representing each partner organization.
The international youth exchange in Latvia is the first part of the bigger project “Action in ECO direction”, where youth workers and youth from different cultural backgrounds will meet and experience non-formal and informal learning in intercultural environment.
International project “Action in ECO Direction” is aimed to promote eco-responsible behavior, active citizenship and sense of initiative of young people.
There will be 2 interconnected youth exchanges within the project: first in Latvia 16-25 June, 2018, and the second in Ukraine – 03-12 September, 2018.
Young people from 6 countries will get together and learn about the most important environmental problems and risks exist in their countries and the whole Europe. Participants will discover the place of an individual in the pollution and how an individual can influence to make the situation better.
Aims and objectives
– to provide to young people with deeper knowledge about environmental protection;
– to analyze environmental challenges in the participating countries and in the wider context, and to look for solutions on different levels;
– to promote responsible and eco-friendly behavior among young people;
– to promote active citizenship of young people, esp. in the field of environmental protection;
– to promote inclusion of young people with fewer opportunities through providing them opportunities to participate on the equal level in the international youth project;
– to promote diversity, intercultural dialogue and tolerance between young people from different countries through sharing, learning and working together in the international team;
– to promote sense of initiative of young people through working on the solutions to the global issues and organizing own community actions;
– to promote international cooperation between youth organisations in the sphere of non-formal education of young people through working together on the international project.
As a result of the each of the youth exchanges participants will create and conduct community actions for the local youth with the purpose to promote eco-friendly behavior.
Each of the youth exchanges will last for 10 days (including arrival and departure days).
The objectives of the each of the youth exchanges are the same as general project objectives, but additionally each of the youth exchanges will focus on the certain specifics. During the youth exchange in Latvia we will focus on pollution and waste reduction. Participants will discover the specifics of the environmental protection situation in the hosting palce. The final activity of the youth exchange will be dedicated to raising awareness and discussion with the local community the
important ecological issues and how it’s important to keep the nature. The final activity of the project will be combined with the Latvian national holiday Ligo.
It is expected that some of participants will take part in both youth exchanges, so the knowledge transfer will be provided.
– young people of 18-25 y. o. with fewer opportunities (some can be older up to 30 y.o.);
– coming from Latvia, Italy, Ukraine, Armenia, Czech Republic and Moldova;
– personally interested in the topic of intercultural learning, ready to share and gain new experience;
– motivated to take active part in the project;
– motivated to share the experience gained during the project in their communities and use the obtained knowledge on practice.
Hosting place and trips
Accommodation: the participants will be lodged in rooms for 3-5 people in the summer camp Albatross (Kesterciems, Engure region, Latvia).
This is big summer camp near the Baltic sea (2 min till sea beach), in the ecological place, about 70 km from Riga.
This summer camp during all summer season is a place for rest to more than 2500 children 6 till 16 y.o. and also for people with special needs.
Food: you will have three meals and two coffee-breaks a day. Please, inform about your food habits and needs (vegetarian, vegan etc).
Working language: English.
Internet Access: free wifi is available at the venue.
Plugs: the type of the plugs in Latvia is European. Make sure that you have adapters for your electrical devises.
What to bring with you:
- “Standard youth exchange equipment”: an alarm clock, any dictionaries you might require, music, musical instruments, comfortable clothes, personal first aid kit, swimming suite, personal hygiene stuff – shampoons and shower gels, beach and bath towels, hairdryers etc;
- ALL NECESSARY PERSONAL MEDICINE
- rain coats and clothes for rainy and cold weather. Now in latvia is sunny +24, but anytime it can change to rainy + 14.
- Additionally we will inform you about the things which you need to prepare and bring for the programme elements.
- YOGA MAT ot SPORT AMT or PLAID
Crossing the border and identification in Latvia
Participants from Moldova, Ukraine, with BIOMETRIC PASSPORTS do not need visa to Latvia. If you don’t have biometric passport, you can get it now before coming to Latvia, otherwise you have to get visa in nearest Latvia embassy in your country based of our invitation. In that case we will need your personal dates as soon as possible to get visas in time. Groupleader has to collect personal dates of participants for visa and send it to coordinator of the project Irina Kurpniece (email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
More information about visas to Latvia please see below:
!!! Please note that foreigners entering and residing in the Republic of Latvia must have a valid health insurance policy, which guarantees the covering of expenses related to health care in the Republic of Latvia, including the transportation back to the country of residence in the case of serious illness.
Participants from Latvia: bring your national IDs (national passport, driver license or student ID card).
While crossing the border you might be asked to provide information about the hosting organization:
Kulturas biedrība “Alternatīvā Realitāte”
Daugavmalas 34-27, Saulkalne, Salaspils pag., LV-2117
+371 22189430, +371 29467064
The day of arrival to Latvia: 16 June 2018
The day of departure: 25 June 2018
How to get to Latvia:
The closest airport to the venue is Riga airport (RIX) (approx. 1 h 20 min from venue).
Transfer from Riga to venue (Riga time) at June 16:
If participant is arrived 1 or 2 days before project starting date, he/she should find hostel and pay it by himself. Accomodation during this extra days not supported and reimbursed. We will inform in our Facebook group about the place and time, where this participant can pick up transfer bus at June 16.
Group leaders: before buying any tickets for your groups, please contact Irina Kurpniece (email@example.com) and provide her information about your group travel plans (means, place of arrival, timing, prices).
She will consult you about the best travel solutions and will help you to arrange your trip to the venue.
The organizers will reimburse 100% of participants’ travel costs from your home city to the venue within the limits defined by Erasmus+ program.
Maximum amounts to be reimbursed (EUR):
Armenia – 360
Czech Republic – 275
Italy – 360
Moldova – 275
Ukraine – 275
Latvia – 20
Reimbursement of the travel costs will only be done after submitting all original tickets, receipt/invoices, boarding passes and later sending of the return documents and boarding passes. Save the boarding passes from your airport check in as well. Please, be aware that in case you loose any invoices or tickets we will not be able to reimburse the cost. Reimbursement will be done in EURO, regardless of the currency indicated on your ticket and receipt/invoice according to the official currency exchange rate of European Commission.
! Note: in case of higher travel cost, you will need to cover excess yourself.
Important: the reimbursement of travel costs for participants will be done via bank transfer to the bank account provided, upon presentation of all required original travel documents.
Group leaders: you are welcome to consult with us before purchasing the tickets for your group. Please make the copies (better scan or photo) of all the tickets and invoices before your arrival to the youth exchange. Email those to Irina Kurpniece (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Currency in Latvia
In June in Latvia is usually quite warm, but party rainy weather.
Average temperature on the dates of the youth exchange will be around +14 +20 degree Celsius. Please check the weather forecast Riga before coming and make sure that you have an appropriate clothes.
Hello. Labdien (formal)Hi. Sveiki (non-formal)
How are you? Kā iet? (Kaa iet?)
Fine, thank you. Paldies, labi
Please. Lūdzu (luudzu)
Thank you. Paldies
Yes. Jā. (jaa)
No. Nē. (nee)
Do you speak English? Jūs runājiet angliski? (Juus runaaiet angliski?)
- Kulturas biedriba “Alternativa Realitate” (Latvia);
- Center for Euroinitiatives (Ukraine);
- INTERNATIONAL CENTER FOR AGRIBUSINESS RESEARCH AND EDUCATION FOUNDATION (Armenia);
- EVROPSKE CENTRUM MLADEZE BRECLAV
EUROPEAN YOUTH CENTRE BRECLAV Z. S.Sindesmos Sistima Kai Genia (Czech Republic);
- YOUth ConnecAssociazione Attiva-Mentet (Italy);
- EU Misc Moldova (Moldova).
Irina Kurpniece – coordinator of the project, logistic support of the project from applicant and hosting organization Kulturas biedriba “Alternativa Realitate” (Latvia), email@example.com
The project Splashes of Diversity was financed with the support of European Commission’s “Erasmus+: Youth in Action” administered in Latvia by the Agency for International Programs for Youth. This publication reflects only the author’s views, and the Commission cannot be held responsible for any use which may be made of the information contained there in.