YE “Net Art for Tolerance”: What is xenophobia and how to stop our fears?
Let’s see how often when we meet with an unknown person or a new idea, we react with suspicion, even with fear? We are afraid of foreigners, we don’t believe them in advance, very often we are led by standard stereotypes and don’t see a person behind them. Because of this, it is so difficult to understand each other, to hear and accept another point of view.
But what if we learn not to judge a person only by appearance, or because of his nationality, or if he is dressed differently from us? What if we can hear each other, understand each other’s values, understand our actions?
Xenophobia is the fear of everything foreign and unfamiliar, intense or irrational dislike or fear of people from other countries . Very often we fear our new neighbors of a different nationality, people with disabilities, and people of a different faith …. but do we really have no points of contact that will allow us to respect and appreciate each other?
We are sure that they are!
And we offer to find them together.
Culture Association “Alternate Reality” is running International Youth Exchange project 2019-1-LV02-KA105-002464 “Net Art for Tolerance”
Aims of the project:
to promote the awareness of tolerance and socially active opposition to xenophobia among young people, including young people with fewer opportunities and disabilities.
- to provide to young people with deeper knowledge about xenophobia, tolerance, minorities;
- to analyze xenophobia and minorities challenges in the participating countries and in the wider context, and to look for solutions on different levels;
- to promote responsible and tolerant behavior among young people;
- to give young people a space for beginning of social and creative self expression
- to promote active citizenship of young people, esp. in the field of tolerance, xenophobia and rights of minorities;
- to promote inclusion of young people with fewer opportunities through providing them opportunities to participate on the equal level in the international youth project;
- to promote diversity, intercultural dialogue and tolerance between young people from different countries through sharing, learning and working together in the international team;
- to promote sense of initiative of young people through working on the solutions to the global issues and organizing own community actions;
- to promote international cooperation between youth organisations in the sphere of non-formal education of young people through working together on the international project.
Project dates: 31 Aug – 09 Sep, 2019
Project place: Paphos, Cyprus
Partners: Latvia, Cyprus, Italy, FYROM, Romania, France
Participants: 5 young people 18-25 y.o. from each Partner organizations, and 1 group leader from each group (18 + no age limit)
If you want to take a chance to participate in the project, please fill
Before filling in Participation Form, please read full INFO-PACK carefully!
A project is approved by Latvian National Agency (Agency for International Programs for Youth) in 2019 and co-funded by Erasmus+ programme of European Union.