“You must be the change you wish to see in the world.” perhaps the most famous of quotes attributed to Gandhi, the funny thing is it there is no actual evidence that those were words that he said. Regardless of this, they are still words of power and hold a lot of truth.
Despite his public image as a man of peace Gandhi was a controversial character. In his younger years according to his biographer he was “at times ignorant and prejudiced about South Africa’s blacks”. However judgement on the past of a person, can often work to our detriment, as we have all made mistakes and to judge someone on these mistakes, will not allow them to be better in the future.
There is a passage from the Bible which goes as follows “Then they reminded Jesus that adultery was punishable by stoning under Mosaic law and challenged him to judge the woman so that they might then accuse him of disobeying the law. Jesus thought for a moment and then replied, “He that is without sin among you, let him cast the first stone at her.”
Later on in life Gandhi became the leader of the Indian Independence Movement, which was dedicated to freeing Indians from British colonialism.
The movement practiced nonviolence and peaceful protests. These acts were instrumental in helping India to gain its independence.
In 1948 Gandhi was assassinated, but his death was not in vain, he inspired many to stand up to peacefully to injustice and below are 13 moments in which he shared words of peace that inspired the masses which continue to ripple across the planet.
- The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong.
- Where there is love there is life.
- Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
- It is health that is real wealth and not pieces of gold and silver.
- When I admire the wonders of a sunset or the beauty of the moon, my soul expands in the worship of the creator.
- An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.
- The good man is the friend of all living things.
- There is more to life than increasing its speed.
- My life is my message.
- The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.
- The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.
- Peace is its own reward.
- I am prepared to die, but there is no cause for which I am prepared to kill.